_

JOIN US NOW!

Friday, November 18, 2022

Spacetime – Night Streets on Slow Shutter III


Good evening and here's a night street photo on a slow shutter speed that was shot with my Nikon D70s on Tamron 17-35mm lens. I was attracted by the water reflection of the bicycle and the surrounding ambient lighting. I was lucky to capture this man walking by the parked bicycle with his right hand holding a can of drink. Somehow his hand was frozen still and in focus sharp while his whole body was in motion blur. Coincidentally, the drink can seem like resting right on top of the bicycle's rear mount rack. Move the slider to reveal the close-up of his hand and the drink can, and you'll know what I have just described.

I was so stoked when I was editing this photo in Photoshop. I believe I pre-focussed on the bicycle mount rack waiting for any subject to enter the scene. A few subjects walked by and I kept shooting and fumbling with the right shutter speed setting. I wasn't shooting in Burst mode but in Single-shot mode instead because my good old Nikon D70s' 3fps is pretty slow in spite of the super low light condition of the scene. I was shooting with the widest aperture of f/3.3 and a 1/4 second shutter speed at ISO 200. 

In street photography, shooting either in Burst mode or in Single-shot mode requires the shooter to follow the momentum of the subject's body/gesture motion in order to capture that "decisive moment" as opposed to much anticipation. It's so true, especially in the latter mode. Shooting in Burst mode, the photographer simply selects the best shot amongst the many shots during the post-production, which at times can be a hit or miss. Well, it certainly works for daytime street shooting but for nighttime, depends on the camera technology and capabilities. Most of the latest models have super high ISO as high as 102,400, and burst rates of up to 20-30 frames per second (fps), and of course mounted with a fast lens, he/she can get many "good exposure" shots.

Personally, I have more success rates of shooting in Single-shot mode with my Nikon D70s. Despite its shortcomings, I'm still able to pull off some decent photos. Well, not every time in my street photography. Instinct and intuition play important parts as well.

So there you have it. Thank you for the time to read and view my new work. New photos will be posted next week. Meanwhile, take care, stay safe, and have a great weekend. Cheers!

Subscribe to my blog


Follow me on my Instagram and NQN Instagram
View more of my photography work on my website.

No comments:

Post a Comment