_

JOIN US NOW!

Saturday, November 26, 2022

Spacetime – Night Streets on Slow Shutter IV


Good evening and welcome to another night photography blog post featuring the fourth Spacetime photo shown above taken with a Nikon D70s on Tamron 17-35mm lens.

Make the jump and let me share with you a little fact about this photo. 

As I was walking along the shophouses in Little India, I came across this huge dark semi-glossy acrylic or plastic reflective flat thing that looks like a Smart TV screen. I halted and stood beside it and observed the reflections of people walking by. I thought this dark "mirror" could create interesting pictures using a slow shutter speed or an ICM effect. I pointed my lens directly at the reflective surface, composed the shot, and along came these 2 Indian fellows. I took 2 consecutive shots.

This picture works due to the fact that the ambient lighting was good with the LED light sources from the shops illuminating the sidewalk. With a slow shutter speed of a quarter second and a wider aperture, it's enough to create a good exposure with some nice motion blurs. 

Another point is that the dark plastic surface helps to create a softness to the photo adding up to the ICM effect. Here's the second shot.


The guy on the left halted and turned his head as if something could have caught his attention or otherwise. Pity that his forehead and nose are right on the edge of the frame; his face almost gets cropped off. Somehow, his body posture and leg stance created an impression of him leaning on the edge of the photo frame.

Well, I think partly it's my camera angle and overall, this makes a pretty tightly cropped photo. And a lucky shot. As for the other guy, he was on the phone chatting away as he walked past at a moderate speed hence the camera captured this nice motion blur.

After all, I'm quite satisfied with the results and I continued to work on the scene with that dark "mirror". Suffice it to say I'll be posting the other photos in our next blog, so stay tuned for the new update. That's all for tonight. Take care, stay safe, and have a great weekend. Cheers!

Subscribe to my blog


Follow me on my Instagram and NQN Instagram
View more of my photography work on my website.

No comments:

Post a Comment