_

JOIN US NOW!

Saturday, November 12, 2022

The Power of Mother Nature


Last weekend, I visited the Singapore Botanic Gardens in search of more ICM subjects to photograph. By the way, ICM stands for Intentional Camera Movement. It is an abstract style of shooting that has no rules – it all comes down to moving your camera over a long exposure to create an artistic or painting-like effect. I got interested and had my first attempt a couple of months ago. If you're keen to find out, I have written and posted a blog on my experience here

Back on track, the weather on that Sunday morning was awesome with warm sunlight and there were many visitors, be it strolling in the garden, jogging, doing yoga, or with family and friends gathering for picnics or dining at the restaurants, the Garden is a favorite place for nature lovers to relax. Make the jump to read more.


Many years ago, I was there to do light paintings of these weird-looking trees called Lepidodendron. It's the name given to a giant Lycopod or scale tree which formed an important part of the coal swamps of the late Carboniferous which grew to heights in excess of 40 meters. The extinct genus of primitive, vascular plants was related to the Lycopsids (club mosses) and are sometimes called giant club mosses. They thrived during the Carboniferous period. This image was made in 2006 with a Nikon FM10 35mm film SLR camera on a FujiFilm daylight color negative film.


So I went back to visit those trees that are located in the Evolution Garden within SBG. To my astonishment, the whole garden is almost engulfed with green algae, lichens, weeds, and ferns. The whole garden's surrounding environment looks so primitive and prehistoric. As if the garden is left unattended. Seems like so.


The above image shows thick ferns and foliage that have covered most parts of the club moss trees. Comparing the following images which I made 11 years ago and on 6 November 2022, Sunday. The change is so drastic. Move the slider to see the Before and After differences.


Look closely at the tree trunk textures and colors. The tree on the far left is currently engulfed with thick ferns. This is the power of Mother Nature. She is always at work every day every hour every minute every second non-stop. Over a span of a decade, this is her masterpiece.

Another view from the top on an overhead bridge.

There's another part of the garden that has changed drastically as well. I forgot to take pictures with my Smartphone but I once did a light painting photograph of these Stromatolites. I have never shown this photograph before publicly. This is what it looks like.


Stromatolites are layered accretionary structures formed in shallow water by the trapping, binding, and cementation of sedimentary grains by biofilms of microorganisms, especially cyanobacteria (commonly known as blue-green algae). They include some of the most ancient records of life on Earth. The current state of this landmark is totally horrifying. Back then the shallow pond water was clear but now it's super murky and infested with mosquito eggs. You wouldn't want to stay there for too long as the mosquitoes will attack. Yeah, I got a few bites and still felt itchy for a couple of days.

I'm so delighted that I made all the light paintings and photographs years ago but a part of me feels sad about this place. Visitors should enjoy the same appearance I've seen back then so that they too can take pictures for keepsake memories. Not just to leave the place unattended with thick foliage and become like a wild forest. I can't imagine how this place would look in another decade. I think National Parks Board (NParks) should do something about it. Other parts of SBG are well attended and gardened except Evolution Garden. Trust me, if you have visited the place many times, you would know what I mean.

OK here comes the photo-sharing part. I took a few panoramic shots of the current state of Evolution Garden with my Smartphone camera. Click on each photo to view a bigger size. Hope you enjoy reading my blog and viewing the photos. Until then, stay tuned for a new update next week. Good night.






Subscribe to my blog


Follow me on my Instagram and NQN Instagram
View more of my photography work on my website.

No comments:

Post a Comment